Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 23: The little things

He said he started to feel it, the tingle of joy that signals they are really getting ready to come home. The unit that is taking over for them is there and Chad's group is starting to sign over equipment to them. While he still has a few days of missions left, and you better believe I'm counting every one, he knows the end is actually near now.

Of course he just can't tell me when. It is really hard trying to plan for family coming in from all over without any warning, but I think once it gets closer we'll be able to get most people here, even if it is a rush, before the ceremony. I don't know if there had been a serious threat to the safety of our soldiers or if his current regiment is just what most of the army refers to as Hooah, but 3d ACR says Ieeyah to mean really gungho.

It is irritating, but I would rather be irritated and have my trooper home safely than to violate Opsec, but it will be really hard not to write it here, shout it on Facebook, etc. once we get the official 72 countdown. I'm starting to feel it too. Of course, I'm trying to get everything just perfect for him so he doesn't come home and feel confronted by a long "honey-do" list. But it feels like the more I clean and look around the house, the more things I see that need doing. I'm hoping the in-laws come a day or so early so Dad can mow and weedeat. Most of the grass is so dead it doesn't need mowed, but there are some places that really need a weedeater, of which I'm terrified.

I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the carpets. The boys room was the worst. The water had actual mud in it. I think we're going to have to have them start taking their shoes off before they walk through the house. It was bad. Lil Bit's room was the cleanest so far. Only two tanks before the water was just medium gray instead of black. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to try to do my room first thing so that when the furniture guys come, the carpet under the new bed is clean. I'm so excited. I get to sleep on my new bed tomorrow, with crisp new sheets and a brand new comforter. Then just a wee bit later Chad will get to come home and have a new mattress for his sore back. I think he'll sleep for days.

One of the things that has really made me feel fantastic is all the emails he's been sending have ended with how excited he is to be coming home to see me and how he can't wait to be together. Maybe I'm weird, but sometimes I forget that the tough guy act he puts on over there is just as much a front as mine is here. We put on the tough face so we can face what needs to be done, but underneath it, he misses me just as much as I miss him.

Remembering how much I'm loved by that man made my day. I know it is a matter of weeks or less before I get to hold him and that makes me happy, but today it was the little things, knowing he's getting excited, knowing he loves me and misses me and knowing that I've got the house moving in the right direction for his return. I can't wait for this to be one kick butt celebration!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment