Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day +7: Duck calls

Today, my day was a little longer than my days have been so far this week. I was amazingly grateful to get a text message from my husband that he would pick up Lil Bit from daycare. I am excited for him to help out around the house with chores and the baby, but I know he needs to take his own time to gradually fit back into his life and our lives. A soldier may fly back to America from a deployment on a plane, but it takes him a bit longer to get home.

While I look forward to picking her up every afternoon, I prefer her having more time at home and love knowing that she was getting some one on one time with her daddy. It is hard for me to give up some of the parts of our routine and share the precious moments that used to be just mine, and yet, I long to share those moments with her father too. He got to pick her up today and experience her sweet little expressions and way she has of playing with the toys at school.

By the time I got home, he had her in the living room, watching Versus Channel and was teaching her how to use his myriad of duck calls. He had his six call lanyard around his neck. He would blow into her hand to demonstrate how to make the calls work. Then let her try. She even made a few of them make noise. It was very sweet. watching them together.

I know I have to share her. I know she needs a relationship with her father. There is a part of me that will be a little sad that I don't get all of her hugs and kisses any more, but being able to watch my two favorite people grow closer together, is pretty special.

He might choose to watch hunting videos with her and teach her duck calls, which would not be my choice, but could be his way of creating a relationship with his daughter. And his relationship with her will be all the more special for the fact that it is just between them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment