Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 193: An old friend

One of my closest military wife friends came to town this weekend. She moved away about a year and a half ago, first to Georgia and then to Korea. I have missed being able to just hang out and chat with her. I really wish we were closer now that she is pregnant. It would be nice to share the joy of babies together.

When she left, we threw her and her hubby a Georgia themed good-bye party. It is hard to believe how long ago that was and how transient this military life is. They are in Korea for two years.

While unlikely, it would be nice if we were stationed closer again. She was one of the "FAB FIVE" as I've started thinking of us in my head, although technically it was six of us. Six just doesn't have a ring to it. Four of us had husbands deployed at the same time although in different units which allowed us to be friends, complain and not be afraid it would get back to the chain of command or be gossip fodder.

She was one of the girls I started running with. We really got closer as we trained for races together. I am not built for speed, but loved the freedom and high of running long distances. She however, could really move. She is probably faster now, 6 months pregnant, than I was at my fastest.

We played a game at her baby shower tonight where we had to guess which feature of hers or her husbands they wanted the baby to have. It was fun. She is very petite, under 5 ft. so we all knew they picked his height. They are both funny and sweet so this baby is going to be a very lucky little guy, but I knew when I saw the trait of heart, I knew they would have to want him to have her heart. She is full of spunk and fight and love and laughter. Her husband is a little more laid back and a very nice guy, a kind of gentle soul who is going to be a great father. But Jessie just has a spark that lights up a room.

It was great to see her. Although, despite the time and distance, it didn't feel like any time had passed at all. It felt like good friendships should, like just picking up a good book. I hope it feels like that for the rest of our lives. Old friends aren't the only friends, but are the best friends because you've built treasured memories together. 

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you mean the world to me:) You are one of the most reliable, trustworthy, and thoughtful friends I have in my life. I feel so blessed that our paths crossed and we became friends. It is our first day back in the apartment after the long trip and reading this made me cry:) In a happy way...:) I think that Allyson is so fortunate to have landed you as her mother. She will always know how much you love her, because you show her every chance you have. You are so in tune with her needs and I can't wait to come to you for baby advice:):) Ty kept mentioning how smart he thought Allyson was:) This trip back to the States was so whirlwind and I feel like I didn't get nearly enough time to visit with you, but I am so grateful for the time we had! It really is truly awesome that we could pick up where we left off- sign of a truly wonderful friendship:) I feel blessed to know you!!!

    ReplyDelete