Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 203: Visitor

Yesterday I wrote about how silly Texas was being about the weather, but apparently somehow, while we can run our air conditioning when it is 110 24/7, but everyone in the state turning on the heat, freaked out the power companies so they started rolling brown outs to keep from blowing a power grid.

They might have been justified, but it takes less electricity to run heat than air and we run our AC like we're trying personally to fight off global warming. In any case, the baby's school called around 10:30 because they didn't have power and hadn't for about 90 minutes. The brown outs were supposed to last 15-30 minutes.

Not so much, so I ran and got her. I brought her to school and kept right on teaching. I know some people took the sick day and went home, but I was halfway through my classes at that point and figured we were doing group work anyway.

So I had a visitor in my classroom today. She was the biggest ham, flirting and laughing and making sure everyone commented on how cute she is. It was fun, but it was also very difficult to balance taking care of her and teaching class. I wasn't feeling very great again today, with a busy baby all day and students who were determined to push every button.

It was a long day. Long enough I turned on Barney for Lil Bit so I could lay down. She didn't like him very much. She liked the 7 minute "Monkey See Monkey Do" show, but Barney was not on her level yet, so no nap after work. I am going to crawl into bed now and hope that either I feel better tomorrow or her school starts with no power so I can stay in bed. UGH - the cold is bitter but we'll be near 70 by Sunday. Within 7 days, we went from 78 to -1 windchill and back to 68 - crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment