Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 194: What Teachers Make

I had a rough week. Nothing worse than usual as far as my job, but I am getting tired and run down. Too much to do and not enough time. Parent contacts and kids who don't do homework break my spirit. When my principal sent out this email this afternoon, and it made me remember I am special to 130 or so kids each year and a few each year still think I am pretty special even as they graduate high school, college, get married, have children or just want to be my friend.



The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.
He argued,"What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his Best
option in life was to become a teacher?"
He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie.
Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You
want  To know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make
a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents
can't Make them sit for 5 without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at Each and
every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make
Them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write.
I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to
know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag,
because we live in the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were
given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)


"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up
high And pay no attention because they are ignorant...

Do you want to know what I make?
I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
What do you make?
"

So for every student I have ever had let me say -  If just once you heard my voice in your head before you did something stupid, even if you did it anyway; If just once you heard some idea or quote you recognized because you heard me say it or better yet, I made you read it; if just once you knew someone could care enough to be moved to tears with love and concern for you other than your parents; if I made you excited to be alive and capable of learning something; If I inspired you to love being educated or pushing yourself to be your best, then this is why I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment