Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 47: Recuperation

Today, I started working on the mess that is my house. I have piles everywhere. Between laundry, luggage,  mail and groceries, my house is a mess and I haven't checked my bank balance in weeks. I am hoping that all the bills I prepaid went through and I guessed right on how much my bills were going to be. I decided last night that today was going to primarily be a rest day, but there are so many things that need doing.

I woke up at 9. The baby hadn't made a peep. I was starting to worry about her, but she was just stretching too. I'm not sure if the trip or the travel has taken it out of us, but we're both very tired. She took two two hour naps yesterday and then slept very late this morning. I have a massive headache and not sure why. I am figuring out our finances for the next month and all I want to do is curl up and cry. I need to be more proactive while she is still asleep for her nap since I can't do much while she is awake, but I can't seem to find the inspiration to even move.

I haven't even made a dent in putting away the baby's clothes. I need to put something on her, but she is going through a strange stage in which she keeps trying to take her clothes off. I am trying to ignore it. At Grandma's we let her run around in a diaper a few times and she liked it. I am hoping she doesn't learn how to take her diaper off too soon. UGH.

She is going through a very independent stage. My mother-in-law says it is more common in 2 year olds. I am working on finding a way to combat it, but so far I am just trying to not yell to often and establish other strategies for me that keep her from situations that put her in a position to make a mess or get into trouble. Until she understands no better, I think it will be an interesting ride.

Spent most of the day resting. Her nap was over three hours. I think she'll probably go to bed early too. I still didn't do much. It may take a few days to get through most of it. Honestly, I did so much yesterday on top of being tired that I'm a bit ahead of where I thought I would be. I thought as she got older it would get easier, but it gets harder in different ways.

With her sleeping through the night, came shorter naps during the day. And then came some mobility and what I call baby jail to limit her from being all over the house. Now she has complete mobility and an uncanny ability to reach almost everything and sense what is the most dangerous thing to do in any room. I think she is trying to give me a heart attack. The funniest part is when I scream "NO!" when she is investigating a power cord or outlet or something sharp that she shouldn't have been able to reach, how she drops it and looks at me innocently and smiles.

Today was nearly a wash. Not much that I planned got finished. I did get through a couple of piles of mail and read Lil Bit several new books and a few old ones too.

Of course, now it is 10:30 and I am the most awake I've been all day. I hope to fall asleep soon and not be quite so tired tomorrow. I'm not sure how much is physical exhaustion and losing a battle against a summer cold and how much I'm wiped out from 24/7 sociability. Not my reclusive self's strong suit! But I also have found out that I miss the contact when it goes from all to nothing. At least I know it will be over in a few more weeks. This has been a diary of surviving a deployment, I'm wondering if I keep working on it daily once he comes home? Mmm, if you have a thought about whether I should, let me know.

I got an email today telling me how excited he is going to be to see me and I felt good and loved and needed. I needed that email today. And for the first time, I let myself start to get excited in my heart that he is coming home, maybe in much less than 47 days! YEAH! I am starting to plan the welcome home party NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment