Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 173: Family

Today was my father-in-law's memorial service. We went to my husband's aunt's house for a few hours in the afternoon to be social, but no one really was, social that is. They talked to us a little bit, but most made no real effort to talk to me or even Chad.

One of Chad's uncles didn't even know who I was. He thought I was his ex-wife. Chuck has been gone for so long that he didn't even know Chad got divorced or remarried. He didn't know Allyson was adopted. The first thing he said to me after giving me a copy of a picture I took, was something about getting knocked up every time he goes to Iraq. I was like, uh, no she's adopted.

I realized that he didn't know who I was, but was like, whatever. I didn't know him and he isn't going to have much to do with us after tonight in any case. Chad's whole side of the family hasn't had much to do with him since we got engaged and married. I think I have been around his dad's side of the family on our first date, when we went to his father's moving party and the weekend we got engaged and that was the last we heard from any of them until the wedding, which was literally the last time any of them has made ANY attempt to talk to any of us.

Chad just feels so much pressure to keep everyone happy. He doesn't want to be confrontational or rude. But that means he keeps a lot of his feelings inside. It was just a weird afternoon.

Then we went to the funeral service. It was very nice and classy. Everyone behaved. I am glad it was so nice for Chad and Megan. The pastor read the eulogy and some family members shared some nice stories about Mort. It was hard to see my husband so sad and crying, but I am glad he let it out.

In the end we stayed and ate dinner in the church basement and Chad and I got to socialize with friends and family. It turned out better than I could have hoped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment