Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 286: 4 years

Today is a very special day. Today is my fourth wedding anniversary. My husband sent me a very nice gift. Well, my idea of a nice gift. He sent me a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card, which is plenty cool. A ticket to buy books?!?! Love it, but the best part was that he found a way to put his picture on it. The fact that he went out of his way to make a special gift card for me makes it extra special, but that is just the type of guy he is.

For those of you who watched the video of his proposal, you know he likes to be romantic from time to time and understands what those gestures mean to us girls. For Valentine's Day during our first deployment, he sent me a giant bouquet of two dozen red roses. It was at least three feet tall. He had the flowers delivered to me at school. When I got to talk with him, I asked him why he didn't just have them delivered to the house. He said, "Half the fun of getting an over the top flower arrangement is getting to show it off." While we won't often admit it, showing off the flowers and getting to revel in other people's reaction is part of what makes it fun. I know the only person who needs to know he loves me is me and that flowers aren't necessarily a sign of true love. It still is pretty special that he gets it, this really rugged, macho guy, gets the girly things that matter to me too.

I was broken hearted, full of bitterness and unable to trust, when I met Chad. His pure and simple love turned me around. He gets me, all my flaws and loves me anyways. I love him, completely. We still have our moments of frustration with each other, but this army lifestyle helps keep us constantly aware of how precious our time is together. Four years ago, I stood and made vows with this wonderful man, to respect and love each other, and knowing how hard this is, how many deployments we would struggle through, I would do it again if given the chance.

We didn't get to celebrate this day together, but I'm sure our hearts met a time or two today over the Atlantic as we thought about each other. And if all the well wishes and positive thoughts coming our way are good for another year each, we'll be happily married for another 60 years. Our story, happy ending complete with wedding and new baby was shared with thousands of people on TV today. I hope our love touched someone's heart. We have such a special connection.

Despite being a feverish, dizzy, temporarily single mom, I am a very lucky woman. I married my best friend four years ago. And love him enough to know how amazing he is. He would hate all this gushing, but he really deserves it. He takes care of me, protects our country and is a fantastic guy all around. Love may not solve all our problems, but it certainly makes them easier to survive. So this and every Veteran's Day, I celebrate my grandfather, my dad, several uncles and my wonderful husband. Even if the army only shares him every other year, half the time with a guy this great is definitely better than none.

No comments:

Post a Comment