Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 296: Restore the Sanity

All over the country this weekend, rallies were held surrounding the theme of restoring the sanity. The general idea is that Republican or Democrat, we all want what is best for our country even if we disagree about how to go about it or what it even is. Restoring the sanity is all about agreeable discord, being able to agree to disagree, being able to debate reasonable issues without animosity.

So why does it seem like adults can't do this in our regular life. As a teacher on a campus that practices a variant of team teaching, I am called to compromise with four other teachers, all of whom are at least 10 years younger than I am. They are good, talented teachers, but we come from different eras, different standards. I don't even want to think about how much education has declined in the past two decades, but considering that I graduated high school before my current students were born, I have seen a lot of changes. I am asked to compromise with people who have seen more than a decade less of education and life than I have and sometimes people who have seen twice as much.

Where is the line between someone newer who sees a better way to do or teach something and lowering standards and cutting corners? Where is the line between some old fuddy duddy who refuses to change her curriculum for anything because it is what she has always taught and holding firm to ideas and ideals that have served her well? And where is the line between holding intelligent discourse and arguing. Do we as a nation even know where that line is? Our entire nation was founded on the idea that two or more groups arguing from various vantage points would find their way into a middle truth.

So why is it so hard to talk to each other like adults. I sat in a meeting today where two people made obvious emails back and forth every time I said something. Because I disagreed with a way they wanted to teach something, I am subject to eye rolling and sneaky emails. One of my new friends told me the other day that maybe we never grow past high school. We are just better at hiding our catty, petty selves.

I don't know if that is true, but it saddens me. I try to be better than that. People often take things I say the wrong way, but if given an opportunity, I will gladly sit and discuss something and try to clear the air.  In fact I tried to clear the air with someone and now it is more muddled than ever. It makes me sad, but makes me so thankful for Chad who loves me for who I am, who gives me the benefit of the doubt and is willing to talk to me if we disagree. Even when emotions run high, maturity is being able to still treat others the way I want to be treated.

We need to restore sanity to the way we deal and treat each other as often as we can. If everyone made a conscious effort to be more tolerant and kind, maybe it would spread. We can only hope.

2 comments:

  1. You've been in my world. You know what THAT's like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete