Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 107: Again

Well, this weekend Lil Bit's fussiness turned out to be stomach flu and her Auntie got it yesterday, and then my Mother-in-Law and I took our turns today.

It was not the best or easiest day ever. I can't believe how many times I have gotten sick this year. It was really no fun. It was Lil Bit's check up today and we sat in the waiting room for over an hour. I was feverish, shaking and cramping.

If our doctor's office was a restaurant, I would have walked out and never returned. I sat in the exam room crying because I felt so horrible and was so angry. After 45 minutes, I went up to check why we hadn't been called yet and found that they had crossed off our name and forgotten to call us.

I told the receptionist that I had the stomach flu and wanted to be put into a room as soon as possible so I wouldn't get anyone else sick. They made no effort to do anything. I was crying and shaking so hard by the time I got to Walgreens to drop off a prescription that they rushed it for me. The poor guy at the counter was so sweet.

What really infuriates me is that a doctor's office in which people are supposed to be taken care of left me and my germs to infect all the little kids and despite the obvious pain and discomfort I was in did nothing. The only saving grace was the doctor took pity on me and prescribed some anti-nausea medicine for me. It took me until about 9 to start feeling better, but I do feel a bit better.

I don't want to spend any more time on being sick, but wanted to complain about doctors and hospitals and such that are supposed to be concerned with the health and well-being of their customers and are just not set up to be patient friendly at all. Sometime are even destructive to patient care. I don't know how health care needs to be reformed, but I would love it if someone would hold doctor's offices accountable to keep appointment times reasonable and hospitals and nursing homes for hiring staff that do their jobs well without mistreating the patients.

I am so angry about the debacle this afternoon, but glad it is over. And hopeful that maybe I will feel better tomorrow. Although after checking email from work, it seems the stomach bug is making the rounds there too. Yikes. I just wish I could take another day off to rest. My body aches so much that it is hard to sleep. And hard to be patient with Lil Bit when I feel so crummy. Prayers to feeling better and a good night's sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment