Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 85: Night out

As I write this, I feel immensely guilty for not spending more time with my Lil Bit tonight, but I planned on going out for a couple of hours tonight to celebrate a friend's bachelorette party. I knew after a long weekend of just us girls, it wouldn't kill her to not be with me the entire evening. We had 72 hours of mommy and me, three hours of a play date/babysitting was not only something I should do for me, but also for her. She needs her routine shaken up from time to time to help her be more flexible, but it is so hard to say that when the consequences are crying and fussing.

All that being said, I had a nice time. It was pretty tame as far as bachelorette parties go, but we had fun. We talked, gave fun advice about marriage and had delicious snacks. I will say that practicing strip tease workouts with your friends is definitely something you should video tape, hilarious!!!

The baby had fun on a little playdate, but it was a long day with very little mommy time and almost her entire day was out of the house. She napped in her carseat and ate dinner in her high chair, but other than that she was at school, in the car or at my friend's in-laws for a playdate/babysitting.

She was really good for most of the evening considering it was totally out of her routine, but she cried the whole way home. I ended up singing "The Wheels on the Bus" for the last couple of miles while she snivelled in the back seat. It was pretty pathetic.

I know I needed the night out. I know in the long run, it won't kill her, but tonight was hard that I only saw her for a few harried moments after work and before bed. She didn't lay down to sleep until 10:30 and I am hoping to be in bed myself in a few minutes. I hate turning down social engagements, but any disruption to our routine means tears and fussiness and sometimes just isn't worth it.

I am glad I decided just to bite the bullet and go, but it was hard. The mommy guilt hit me when she just cried and cried the whole way home, but those few hours of being an adult out of the house, with "gasp" a glass of wine, made me feel a little more like me and a little less like the crazy pajama mommy who chases around after Lil Bit all the time.

I need to schedule required mommy out days now, while I am thinking straight and know it is important for both of us to socialize out of our usual routines. Otherwise this summer might turn me into the host from Romper Room. I don't want to need a rubber room come August, just love my daughter. On the other hand, I may love it so much that I don't want to leave. Either way, a night out with my girls is still going to be a necessity.

1 comment:

  1. It is important that you take time to be Jennifer every once in a while. "Mommy" is a blessing, but you need to have you time too. It doesn't have to be all day or extravagant. A hair appointment. Going to Walmart alone :) Time to run/walk alone (though I do enjoy it when Wade is with me!). Pedicure! Make time to do something once a week or so, or you may start babbling and no one will understand you!

    ReplyDelete