Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 108: Mother's Day

Today was about celebrating mothers, but I didn't get to spend much time relaxing today. We did breakfast and then "got ready" and went out to also celebrate my step-father-in-law. His birthday is coming up, so I told him about the Central Texas Air Show, and that I wanted to take him for an early birthday gift. To say he loves planes would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!

After Lil Bit spent the Saturday feeling piqued and puny,  and puking a lot, I wasn't sure how she was going to do today, but she was ok. We got to the airshow and went down the strip of planes parked on the tarmac before heading over to the main viewing area. And never went. We found a shady strip on the side of a building and could see most of the show from there.

It was hot, but breezy and not too bad in the shade. We had a nice time. The baby was so funny. She kept reaching her hand out to the planes. She kept signing please and reaching for the planes. She spent more time watching than I thought she would.

I liked going and we had fun, but so tired. With company here we did other things today, so I didn't have a lot of time to reflect on being a mother today. Probably a good thing. I would have gotten maudlin about how fast my little girl is growing up. She is changing so fast.

While she is still a baby in so many ways, she already isn't. We went out for dinner afterwards and I ordered her her first kids meal. The portion was huge! We all were shocked, but she ate a good amount of it and had some of her applesauce too. She was drinking water all day at the air show out of the caps of the water bottles. Signing more and please and finished is so cute, but it is communicating and talking back to us and a sign she is growing up. I feel like I am missing it all and I hate it. Of course, nothing feels better than a super crabby baby who is way past sleepy not wanting anyone but her mama.

I love having the extra hands to hold her, but there is something special about her wanting me. It feels nice to know she loves me back that I am special to her in a way that she can't even grasp yet, but she knows the difference between the way I hold her and Grandma and Grandpa, even though they have way more practice and skill. I did get to end my SECOND Mother's Day rocking my sweet princess to sleep and singing her a lullaby that I wrote for her. Although the verses still have a few kinks to work out. So Happy Mother's Day, happy family day, happy Birthday - whatever or whoever you celebrated today, I hope your day was as great as ours we celebrated babies, moms, aunts, grandpas and had fun being together. I only wish my dear husband could have shared this weekend with us. I can't make that true, but I can at least be grateful he is still safe and healthy even if he isn't home just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment