Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 96: Unpatriotic?

So, I was reading an article about increasing dwell time for soldiers between deployments to two years and I got mad. The article basically was saying that we're going to be deploying soldiers consistently for the foreseeable future and they're working on creating the best possible model for that structure.

Am I unpatriotic because I wanted to scream, punch that general or at least send him a very strongly worded email? Why can't we just stop fighting? I don't mean pack up and head home tomorrow, but why isn't all our troops at home soon a reasonable goal? Why aren't we more focused on working toward that?

The article said we've been at war for 91/2 years. My husband has been deployed for 4 of those years, almost 50% of the time. The dwell time increase won't even take affect until 2012  or 2013 fiscal years at the earliest, so he could see another deployment before they make the change. We're hoping for a non-deployable position for a few years, but there are no guarantees.

I am tired. He is tired. The kids are tired. His mom is tired. We've prayed, we've celebrated, we've partied and welcomed home, we've cried and waved good-bye. We've stood in the freezing cold to solemnly send him off and baked in the sun waiting to hug him as he returns. We've struggled to organize visits to keep everyone happy. We've dealt with the strange and conflicting emotions of reintegrating.

Can we please just have a break? I understand this is what the army does. But over and over and over and over, when some soldiers have never gone, when some soldiers find ways to get out of deploying, when people are getting awards and promotions who have deliberately avoided combat in any form and are proud of their cowardice. Why can't THAT guy go and my guy get to spend more than 15 months in his own country? My husband called me upset because he was kept out of a convoy on a day they saw action. He wanted to be there with his guys.

I am also angry that the dwell time is only going to be two years. That is better than what we have now, but I would love it to be closer to three. Give us enough time to develop a marriage. We're celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary in November and are barely more than newlyweds in many ways.

He came home in September of '06 and was gone February, April-June of '07 for various trainings. We moved here and he was gone August-Sept for NTC. Then, he was home pretty much until March '08 when he deployed again. He got home March '09 and was home until fall, then he spent November and December and January at training. He had NTC again May-June 2010 and deployed August 2010.

Ok, so now I did the math about how many months he's been home vs. gone since we got married. He's been home 25 months. By the end of this deployment, he will have been gone 32 months. I don't know when we'll get even, if ever. Maybe next summer we might get to even. But it will be close. We will be close to six years of marriage and have not have even three years together. I think it is fair that I am tired.

Does it make me unpatriotic? I love my country. I love that my husband defends us. BUT I love my husband too and would like to know what it is like to be married to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment