Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 109: Party Time!

Today was Lil Bit's birthday party. If you've been reading this week, you have some idea what we went through to save the money to adopt her, organize and file the paperwork - twice, once for the home study and another time for the agency, and I haven't even talked about the craziness that ensued after we got the phone call that we had been chosen by a birth mother only three weeks after we submitted our profile. We had six weeks to prepare our home, lives and a nursery for a baby. We thought we had 13, but no. It was a whirlwind.

Technically, today was one year ago that we knew about her being born, and tomorrow is one year from when we got to see her for the first time, but I digress, as I am wont to do. The amount of time and effort we put into adopting this child, the amount of time I have spent wishing for her, puts a bit of pressure on my heart to get every little thing right from daily activities to holidays. I don't necessarily care if things are perfect, but I waited SO LONG for this Lil Darlin' that I don't want to squander any of her firsts or special moments.

Her first birthday has to be special even if Daddy doesn't get to be here to share it with us. I know it is breaking his heart to miss it. He asked me to send him pictures of her cake and presents and party dress. She won't remember he wasn't here. We had a houseful so she will have plenty of memories of people fussing over her.

I didn't get everything done before company was coming like I wanted to, but at least I got most of it done. I started planning her party over a month ago just because I knew life would get hectic and if I procrastinated like I usually do, it wouldn't get done.

I have avoided getting her into the Disney princesses so far or even Mickey or Minnie Mouse just yet. She likes animals, but I wasn't sure if one of my friends was going to use that as her theme. So the only other thing I could think of was music. She loves to clap and sway and try to snap her fingers which cracks me up. I decided that the music of the 50's and 60's has a lot of "baby" in the lyrics and is fun to sing and dance to, so we're having a diner 50's party with Rock-n-Roll themed decorations. Her cake has the picture of her with the guitar in the red tutu and she wore a polka dot skirt and poodle sweater outfit for her party.

I spent the last week creating a playlist for her party on my iPod. I am sure I missed a song or two, but got about 30 songs, most contain baby or honey or dancing or love in the lyrics, most all of the above. She loves all of the songs and bops her head to them while they play. I've been playing the songs for a few days to get her familiar with them so she'll dance and enjoy the music on the big day. I can't wait. She is WAY TOO CUTE.

I tried to practice blowing out a candle, but the flame upset her. She liked watching it, but started crying after staring at it and never did understand how to blow at all, much less the candle. I guess it is up to me to make sure her wish comes true (just like a mommy should). She had a mini separate cake all to herself and a high chair decorating kit with

I know I have spent WAY TOO MUCH time, money, energy worrying about getting this right when she won't even remember it, but she only turns one once and this is the probably my only child's first birthday. And maybe I am trying a little too hard since daddy can't be here. But we had a blast. Grandma and Grandpas and Great-Uncle and Great-Aunt and Aunt and even her doggy cousin are here to celebrate.

Too tired to pull pictures off the camera tonight, but she was a doll in her little polka dot dress. She felt a little sleepy for awhile, and perhaps a little puny, but rebounded right after everyone left. It was a fun day even though it wasn't perfect, just gives us something to shoot for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment