Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 56: Touching History

My husband is deployed to Iraq, but historically the area where he is is one of the earliest civilizations, Mesopotamia. It is strange for me that I've taught about the Fertile Crescent, the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. These are places I've discussed, but to me, really, they are just words or pictures. I've never seen them. My husband has stood next to these waters and stood in palaces, castles and just on ground that has seen thousands of years of civilization.

Today he sent me pictures of some castle or palace. He doesn't always find out what they're called or the exact historical details when his duty for the day is the protection of some Iraqi officials or military officers.

Really, he is lucky to have a chance to take pictures most days. A lot of times he is kept so busy with his duty that he doesn't even snap any or if he does, he isn't in them. Today was a special treat because we got pictures of him in them. He was walking through this castle that he said was used by the British when they visited during the 1920's, but the stone construction is obviously much, much older than that.

I know when he was younger, he traveled to Greece, Italy, Israel, France, and Africa with the Marines. He confesses now that he traveled the world, but missed out on the significance of the places he saw. I'm not sure he is getting more out of his current travels. He mostly sees sand, sand and some more sand, but sometimes he gets to visit some pretty neat places.

At the castle/palace he visited this week, he sent a picture of his guys walking through one of the fancy sitting rooms obviously decorated by the British when they used this place in the 20's.

You can see the rough soldier fall away and the faces of these tough men turn into wonder at the sight of some interesting pieces of history.

While I would imagine that most of these soldiers have a limited understanding of world history from a tenth grade exploratory course, like the one I used to teach, they probably are just awed by the age of objects and buildings. Our country tends to be more focused on the newest, most up-to-date things. We tear down buildings once they reach a certain age or state of dilapidation. In a nation whose history literally predates history (defined as recorded written records), almost everything is ancient and most things predate our nation. I can't imagine just running around structures that are older than our country.

Last week, Chad described a pile of dirt and rocks by the side of the road. He pointed it out to his unit to examine as a possible site for IEDs. As they were climbing the pile, Chad noticed broken pieces of pottery and bricks. A local was nearing the area, so they asked him about the mound. He said they were climbing on the ruins of Kish, one of the ancient city states of Sumer. Some of the ancient women I used to teach about in Women in History were rulers of Kish - Enheduanna who was the daughter of Sargon the Great.

The next day he visited some rebuilt sites from Babylon. I am just flabbergasted at the idea that he just walks around every day on ground that to me would be near sacred. When we went to Cancun, we visited Chichen Itza, and I got teary eyed at standing in front of the ziggurat from pictures I had taught in my history classes for years.

My husband might not get chills standing in these places, but he understands how just the history of the places deserves respect and tries to instill this respect in his soldiers. The dirt mound isn't just a pile of rocks, but a piece of history that they are touching.

He might be far away. He might not be able to touch my face or kiss his daughter goodnight, but at least he is able to appreciate the history he is experiencing, which is something very rare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment