Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 57: Lake

One of my favorite things about my adult hometown is the manmade lake just outside of town. I used to rent a lot every summer. It was about the width of a decent sized city lot, but ran from the gravel road to the water, which varied with each space. Mine was down a steep hill and across from the golf course.

I used to spend every second I could out there. Other than mowing it, which was awful, I loved being out there, especially on weekdays when no one was there. I would spend all day reading and sunning and swimming in the beautiful peace and quiet. Somedays I would swim as quietly as I could out into the middle of the lake feeling like God made this beautiful place just for me.

I miss it the most since we moved. Today we spent the afternoon riding around on a pontoon boat at the lake. It was a little hot in the sun, but just about a perfect day for the lake. The water was chilly, but not really cold. We had a boatful of family and friends and just had a nice day, although, tiring. I am ready to crash. After sleeping on the couch and then sitting in the sun with a VERY unhappy baby who DETESTED her life jacket, I'm ready for bed. So short and sweet tonight, we came, we saw, we swam and now we all sleep the deep, wonderful sleep after a busy summer day and a delicious meal and cool showers.

If my Lil Bit was able to remember a day yet, today would have been a pretty good one to remember. Even the smells of sunblock and lake water with freshly shampooed hair and barbecue are such a part of my amalgam of summer memories. I just wish my dear husband could have been here to share it with us. 

1 comment: