Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 68: 50 lbs.

I already wrote about my struggles with weight loss this week, so this blog isn't about that. It is about trying to pack for vacation for me and Lil Bit in one suitcase under 50 lbs. I don't know how much they charge for an overweight bag, but I think it is like $50. If I am going to cough up another $50 for this trip, it better be for a first class seat.

We're traveling for more than two weeks and I'm doing my best to pare down what we're bringing, but it is hard. Even bringing enough for a week weighed 49 lbs. I had to pull some things out, stuff a few in the carry on. I don't know how to do it and still bring the outfits I want to. I haven't even tried to include swimsuits or toiletries yet. I am going to be cutting it close weight wise.

Packing for the baby is hard, but luckily I have someone waiting for me who has baby gear. I only have to bring snacks for the trip, diapers, and enough to keep her occupied during the flights. Plus two sippy cups with dry toddler formula, we'll see how that flies with new TSA regulations. I'm certainly not ready for my close up with the nude scanners. I am already preparing to declare holy hell if they expect the baby to go through the scanner. I am not subjecting her to radiation.

I'm still hoping that Area 51 perfects beaming technology soon. That way we could travel across the country in seconds for a few hours and see family without all the stress of packing and travel. I love my family and wish I could be there for family dinners, afternoons at the zoo or whatever. It would be nice to be able to be there for a day, an hour, instead of trying to cram a year's worth of face time in a week.

I will save my travel tips until later this week, after I see what works and what doesn't. After my experiences yesterday with shopping, I know I can't expect the little quiet person I traveled with seven months ago. She was amazing that trip. She fell asleep on take off and woke up on touch down pretty much all four flights. I am trying not to get my hopes up that she will nap again, but I did time the longest flight for her nap time.

We'll see how it goes. I spent most of the day doing laundry, running from one end of the house to another, trying to decide what goes and stays, trying to make mental notes for what needs to be done. I felt like I got a lot of it done, but feel like there is so much left to do. I am trying to not get stressed about the list of things undone or about the traveling. I am too much of a worrier. I've been trying to work on it since I met Chad, who is kind of the opposite of a worrier.

So, I'm gonna quit writing about all the things left to do, before I start getting stressed. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok. I am traveling to Idaho July 8-12. I think I am going to pack up my clothes and Wade's on Tuesday and UPS 2nd day them. Then we will only have small suitcases (two tickets, two smalls suitcases) to worry about. I also have to take the car seat for him...this may be FUN! I need to be educated about TSA rules/laws!

    ReplyDelete