Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 59: Contact

My sister and I were pretty close as children, but argued a lot as we got into school age and high school. Then I went my way to college and she went her way. We've worked harder the past few years to build a better relationship, but it is hard surrounded by kids, mom, and the day to day sometimes to find ways to really talk.

Just once this week did we really talk. One afternoon, we drank basil lemonade and sat on the front porch for a few hours until we both couldn't wait to pee and needed to feed our children dinner. We talked about college and kids. We talked about what careers we could see our children choosing. Of course, her kids are five so it is easier for her to imagine them choosing careers. With Lil Bit being only a year old, it is hard still to imagine her choosing an adult career. We talked about IQ's and whether we would want to know our children's scores. We talked about growing up and who we were as people.

We had a nice chat, but somehow the close feeling of contact from that afternoon didn't last. Our private little bubble ended when we came back inside. Somehow the realities of being mothers invaded the moment and we haven't been able to find private time again to chat.

I leave tomorrow and the morning won't be conducive to any more conversation. I just feel so left out between my mom and sister sometimes who have always been so close and now share nearly everyday together. They don't try to make me feel left out, but we just don't seem to really talk. I wish I could just find a way to get to know my sister better.

We can spend a week in the same house, but somehow don't quite manage to make contact. I love her and she loves me, but our relationship has always been just short of true and easy friendship. I hope that changes someday. I would even like to meet her somewhere someday for a just us weekend or maybe make a date once or twice a month to call and talk but no kids talk, just us.

One of the things I've struggled with as an army wife is the distance it puts between us and our families. It isn't easy to maintain close contact when you can't just pop in for dinner or hang out in the backyard like friends do. Maybe our next move will bring us closer? or force us to work harder at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment