Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 72: Put away childish things

I spent so many years waiting for a baby but had no idea how fast she'd grow up. I have enjoyed every stage, but they are going way too fast. I'm trying to treasure each milestone as much as possible, but life just doesn't always give me time to savor the moments.

It was time today to put away Lil Bit's bottles. I stopped giving her bottles around a month ago, but just hadn't committed yet to never giving her a bottle again. We started working on sippy cups when she was around 7 months old, but it took her awhile before she understood how to drink from it and a few more months before she was proficient enough to move to primarily using them instead of bottles.

I think it took me another month to be ready to let her make that move. I don't know how much of my reluctance was that the change sneaked up on me and as much as possible, I like to make changes for her gradually. I started giving her a sippy cup that was closest to a bottle and gave her a goodnight bottle for a couple of days, then no more bottle.

Now she's gone about a month without any bottles at all. My mom was surprised that I wasn't giving her a bottle at bedtime anymore, and I've noticed that she does drink a bit less milk than she did on a bottle, but not by much. I remember when my sister took her twins off the bottle completely they were old enough to miss it. I figured if I just took it away, she wouldn't know enough to complain. In fact, I am going to try to take away the pacifier once we get home from vacation.

It isn't a big deal to me right now, but I don't want it to become an issue for her. My niece and nephew were old enough to give their pacis to the Paci-fairy and get a prize like the tooth fairy. It was cute and they chose when they were ready, but I would rather skip the drama if possible. The plan is to take it away for naps first, then once she's adjusted to that, take it away at bed time. But we'll see. She will have her own plan.

I had planned to try to potty train her this summer, but she just isn't ready. She will go on the potty occasionally and will tell me sometimes when she needs changed, but she just doesn't seem very interested in the potty yet. She has a dvd and a book to introduce the concept, which is where I think we'll leave it for now. She watches the movie and sits on her potty once in awhile. One day it will click and her body will be ready.

I think she is growing up too fast already, so if she stays a baby in a few ways a little longer, that is OK with me. She will be a big girl soon enough. We've already put away five sizes of clothes, her bassinet, swing, most baby food, and her bottles. Her infant seat is next to go away. We've put away plenty of her baby things already. I think I'm not going to rush the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment