Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 74: Not so fun in the sun

Today was not very exciting. It was pretty much my standard summer day so far. We got up before 8 and got ready for our jog/walk. We were out the door by around 8:30, but the temperatures were already rising steadily. By the time we got back to the house, it felt like 90 degrees outside, which is hot enough if you're sitting still but trying to jog . . . was just a bit insane. According to my marathon training book, you have to add :30 to each mile time for every 5 degrees above 65 because the heat makes it that much harder to run.

I believe it. I felt like I was dragging the whole way. I usually start off feeling good at least, but today just felt tired. I had taken a couple of days off to rest and still felt awful. Between the heat and aging, aching body, it was a long run even though I was a little faster than last time.

I rested and played with the baby, fed her again. Ate something myself and then put her down for a nap. I should have been productive during her nap but I just couldn't bring myself to do much. I was just beat from the heat. And I am not looking forward to the rest of the week when our lowest high temperature is 101.

Late afternoon, my husband came onto chat. I told him we were planning on going for a swim. He said he envied us being able to swim, despite the water already being near bath water warm. I told him how hot it was here. He told me it was 120 there. I thought about how drained I was after one hour of strenuous activity in 90 degree heat.

He has to wear his uniform which consists of long sleeves, pants, wool socks, boots and a helmet. In addition to the uniform, he wears a vest that contains armor plating and ammo, and guns, grenades, etc. As you can see in the picture, he has a lot of crap on in 120 degree heat. I don't know how they do it.

They walk around like that, run like that, climb in and out of vehicles like that. The heat must be an oppressive force weighing them down. I know they have to drink insane amounts of water just to stay alive.

As I sit here tonight, struggling to keep my eyes open after a run this morning and a swim this evening in the heat, I wonder how they function on so little sleep. The soldiers' bodies must feel like lead weights. Staying awake must take everything they have, much less actually being alert. I forgot to ask Chad if they have air conditioning in their CHU (combat housing unit), but I would think that it would be minimally functional at best.

We've talked about how the soldiers give up their time, risk their lives, but very little about how they give up living like civilized American society. They give up comfortable beds, normal temperature, decent nights' sleep and home-cooking, and regular mail. I don't even want to start on the bathrooms and showers.

Today I was just very grateful that some, my husband included, give up those creature comforts we consider necessities to defend the ideals of our nation. I know very few people would be able to survive the sacrifices he makes daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment