Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 63: Little things

I didn't hear from my husband today, but we did get the squadron newsletter. I usually try to scan the newsletter for a chance picture or mention of my husband, but have never seen much of him. A lot of times he isn't even mentioned. I even watch most of the squadron movies hoping for a glimpse of his face.

This time he was mentioned and pictured! "SSGs Coderellis and Defrates have been approved and
awarded the Order of Saint George for outstanding leadership in an Armored Cavalry formation." I think he mentioned the award awhile ago, but hasn't said anything recently about officially getting the award.

It does feel nice to hear that he is getting some recognition for his hard work. And seeing his smiling face in the picture was nice. It is one of those things people outside of the military community probably don't often think about, but I don't get to see recent pictures of my husband very often. I miss his face.

It is the little things that get to me. I miss his face, the way he smiles, the way his voice sounds. After over 300 days since he left for this deployment, there are days it is hard to remember what it is like to have him around. I forget the way it sounds when he walks in the door after work. I forget the way he smells when he holds me close. I struggle to remember the way his lack of organization makes me want to scream. I can't seem to remember how loud his snoring is or how he heats up the bed until I can't sleep.

All I can think about are the myriad of ways I miss him. Because the big things aren't really what you miss, it is the tiniest of details that make your heart break: the way his hand fits in mine, rough and calloused with gnawed fingernails, the way he chops vegetables and obsesses over his cooking, the way he watches hunting and fishing shows Saturday and Sunday mornings.

There are a few big things I miss too, the way he accepts me the way I am, loves the way I look, enjoys my sense of humor and seamlessly understands me. Either way, there are days I just realize how much I miss him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment