Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 71: Jogging Strollers

I've been using my jogging stroller a lot lately, and I've realized that there are a few things I would have changed about it if I had shopped for it in person. I shopped online and put it on my registry for my baby shower. My step-sons' mother generously gave it to me as a gift, and I love it. However, once you use something, it is easier to see the design flaws or even features that you love.

If you are in the market for a jogging stroller, here are a few things to look for. Wheels are the most important because the way they roll and the ability to traverse terrain are going to be most important on any jog. Also durability is something to look for. My jogging stroller has inflated tires like a bicycle which make it easier to push although bouncier over bumpy terrain. They do go over rough terrain easily, but the ride is not terribly smooth for a small infant. I didn't feel good jogging with her in it until she was about 8 months old. It is rated as safe after two months old, but until she was able to sit up and hold her head really well, I kept my pace to a brisk walk or a slow jog on smooth surfaces. Most jogging strollers have three wheels; some have a swivel front wheel and some have a fixed front wheel. I prefer the swivel because it responds to turns easier, however that can make it more challenging to control.

Another feature to look for is a Y handle. The Y shaped handle allows for one handed steering. I walk with baby and dog, so I needed one hand for the dog and another for the stroller. Eventually I figured out a velcro hook for the dog's leash that I can remove quickly should the dog be distracted by something, but the one handed steering is still great so I can talk on the phone or when I am really sprinting and use my arms to run. I wouldn't buy a jogging stroller without the one handed steering.

One thing I didn't think about until the first time I put my daughter into the jogging stroller was how the straps secure the child. My stroller only has a small strap between the legs to keep her in. I would have rather there been a post. The strap shifts and ended up wedged between her thigh and crotch. I was concerned that it would rub and be dangerous. I wrapped it in two of the terry cloth seatbelt covers that you can buy in Walmart or Toy R Us. A post between the legs would be more secure for smaller children.


Now the things you might not think about. How wide are the drink holders? How deep are they? If you shop in person, take your favorite water bottle and see how it fits. If it's loose, it will possibly bounce out while running or rattle a lot which is irritating.  If the cup holders are too shallow, they might not hold a tall water bottle. Also play with the children's tray and cup holders. Now that my Lil Bit drinks from a sippy cup, she takes a cup of water, juice or milk on every run, just like I do. Most of her sippy cups have handles and don't fit well in the holders. Is there a place on the parent side for your keys, cell phone, etc.? My stroller has a clicking container to hold a few things relatively securely. 

Lastly consider how the handle feels. Mine has a comfort grip that is like a rubberized tread, but when it gets sweaty, it feels sticky. I would never have thought that of such a nice grip, until I ran 4 miles in 100 degree heat. I wrap a towel around it which makes it much easier and actually keeps my hands drier giving me a more secure grip. I might even consider buying some more of the seatbelt wraps for the handle bar. 

I'm sure there are other features I haven't considered, but these are the ones that as someone who really uses her stroller to run has noticed. I run up and down hills, so I've noticed if it is easy to push and how much it weighs. Mine is very light and glides easily which is nice 30 minutes into a run up a very steep hill. 

As a mom, and friend of other new mothers, I've realized that this is all one big learning curve, and it doesn't hurt to have someone point you in the right direction, even if you chose differently, it is nice to have some things to think about and look for that you might not have considered until you were using the product and didn't like it. So happy jogging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment