Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 247: Travel Tips

Packing lightly for the week is key. I made sure to pack neutral pants to which I could wear several different blouses and neutral dress shoes that would go with all of my dressy outfits. Make things do more than one job. I brought jeans, yoga pants, dress slacks and a variety of tops. If necessary I can do a load of laundry, but, I should be able to make it on what I brought and I only used half the suitcase. My daughter's things took the other half, plus toiletries, etc. Of course it helped that I spent the whole first day here in jammies. Lil Bit didn't sleep well in a new place last night, so we took a nice long nap midday and after that, it kinda wasn't worth it to get dressed.

Travel tips  for those of you flying with infants - I packed two wipes in a sandwich bag and a diaper into a disposable diaper bags. Rather than have to wade through my big carry on backpack, I was able to throw a few of these into my purse. It was easier for me to access on the go and meant that I could stow my backpack in the overhead compartments and have space to put my purse beneath the seat, giving me and Lil Bit more leg room to maneuver. Also bring a few different feeding options as the new TSA guidelines are interpreted differently by different agents. The security personnel wanted to open all of my ready formula to test it which would have soured it all two hours into a very long trip. So have a back up plan in case something like that happens. I am planning on carrying ready made on the way home, plus a bottle with powder in it.

Wear slip on shoes. Pre pack all your purse liquids in a baggie the night before. Keep all your items that you have to remove for security together so you can easily grab them and throw them into the bins. Oh, and if they offer you an upgrade to first class - take it!

I got air sick yesterday. I wasn't feeling great anyways thanks to some perhaps ancient egg nog, and flying only exacerbated it. I spent the whole first leg in a hot cramped seat in the back of the plane next to the bathroom which meant a stinky ride. I kept repeating the mantra, "I will not vomit on the baby." When they offered a first class upgrade for $50, I said, oh yeah!

It was worth it for this one day to sit in the front of the plane, have enough room to hold her comfortably and get a nice cozy blanket to snuggle under. In fact, by take off she was out and slept like a lump the entire plane ride, waking up to be obligatorily cute only upon touchdown. She was really great. And my planning for quick changes was helpful when immediately after being put in a clean diaper, she decided to poop. Lovely - luckily, as is so often with life, experience is the best teacher. Thanksgiving had taught me to keep an eye out for the family restrooms, so we were fine and ready to board when they called for first class.

Other than being exhausted, it was a nice day of travel. Everything went well, they didn't lose my baggage and my Lil Bit was an absolute angel the whole day. Well until bedtime in a weird room that was not her own, but we improvised and snuggled all night. I was willing to make that sacrifice. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment