Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 248: Time Management

For my loyal readers, this was a submission I made to another blog. Alas, it was not chosen to publish, but I thought I would share, just a few ways I have learned to survive after a few months of drowning. I would like to say, I have more tips but this article was limited to 500 words. One is procrastinating leads to panic and exhaustion - one of these days, I will quit doing it. Mmmm, maybe tomorrow?

Feel Like a Sinking Ship?
Some tips to keep your head above water during busy times

            One week I was home all day with my husband and baby, the next, I was back at work full time, the baby was in daycare; the next my husband deployed for a year to Iraq. Thrown into the deep end without floaties, being organized has been a struggle, but ultimately my salvation as I learn how to do it all, all by myself.
            Here are a few of the tricks that I have worked hard to master so that now I am relaxing with my daughter or hopping onto facebook instead of running ragged until I drop.
            Triage – Figure out what the priority is right now and set a mental list of upcoming tasks in order of priority.

·      Sevens and up get immediate attention. What has to be done to get out the door or to bed?
·      Is cooking yourself a fresh hot dinner important? Or are you satisfied with a quickie frozen meal? Organize your life around those things you can’t live without.
·      Learn what things you can safely leave for another day. And let yourself mentally set aside tasks for later too. Feeling relaxed and unhurried can let you live in the moment. Especially as a mother, those moments are too precious to miss in frenzied panic.

            Don’t waste movement or time – If multi-tasking is done properly, it can save time and anxiety later. I live by the motto, “Better to be a bit busy for an hour and lazy for three.” Follow along if you’re with me.

·      Never stand still. While you’re waiting for dinner to heat, can you wash a dish? Make up the baby’s bottles for the next day?
·      Combine tasks. If I’m circling the kitchen to make coffee, I can let the dog in on the way and grab her food on the way back.
·      Never have empty hands. If you’re walking into the kitchen, what near you needs to head in that direction? Getting a head start on another task means less stress later.

            Plan for the worst and plan ahead. We all hope for those dream days where everything falls into place, and then the alarm rings.

·      Have a plan B and C in mind. When everything goes kablooey, what is your go to? Know what to do, and the explosion will wreak less havoc.
·      If you can plan and do for the week, do it. Sunday, while making eggs for the week’s breakfasts, I pack my lunches. While folding my daughter’s laundry, I lay out her outfits for the week.
           
            Finally, be flexible and logical. I was preparing dinner for my daughter, getting ahead of the curve, while she was still content in her car seat; and decided, what the heck, feed her there rather than move to the high chair. Nobody died, she ate her dinner and we had a great time doing something different.

- I hope you enjoyed the article. Being organized is an all the time thing if it is truly going to save you time, but once you get a system in place, you will find that staying organized only takes a few seconds which can add up to lazy hours later. Especially in these last few days before Christmas, try to do one more thing than you have to each day so that you have one less the next. I waited until the last minute to wrap presents and spent two whole nights swamped. Don't do that. Wrap them as you buy them or do four or five a night until the main event. I am proud of myself, I did already stuff stockings so that I won't have to do that when I am racing home to company on the 26th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment