Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 244: Spa day

My sister and BiL surprised me with a spa day for my Christmas gift. They wanted me to have a few hours where I wasn't mom and just got to be Jen. Any mom understands the need to have time to just be yourself, but single moms, even temporarily like myself, don't get to hand the baby off and just take some well deserved "me" time.

Heck, on the weekends when I don't wake before her, I have a hard time getting into the shower. She is a very patient baby and can keep herself occupied often, but instinctively seems to understand when I need to go to the bathroom, shower, eat or sleep and chooses those moments to melt down. Like last night, she fell asleep around 9:30 and woke up at 11 ready to play. My BiL Matt stayed up playing with her and watching Babytv.com for awhile. She was up past one and then smacked me in the face and cried about every hour during the night. I woke very unrested.

The chance to take a few hours and get spoiled, pampered and pedi'd is rare. I also get to share the afternoon with my sister. We got manicures and pedicures together and my sister scheduled a 75 minute relaxing, moisturizing facial for me. She and I shared a bottle of Riesling while we were moisturized and paraffined. Yet, we didn't get as much girl talk time as I would have liked across the manicure tables. With she and my mom living so close to each other and seeing each other nearly every day, they have become very close. I sometimes feel left out, so it is nice to be able to take some time with each of them separately.

After our toes were sparkly and twinkling, I was led to a spa room for my relaxing facial. Quiet wood flutes played softly as moisturizing lotion was applied to my face. Hot stones massaged my arms while lavender and peppermint opened my pores. A deep scalp massage sent me drifting into a much needed nap. I awoke feeling dreamy and relaxed.

It was a delicious day. I just wish I could have rested a bit longer before returning to Lil Bit. I told the receptionist they should have a single mom packaged with a nap built into the facial and massage package. We got home and my mom continued to occupy munchkin while we ate my BiL's tacos and guacamole. She began to meltdown about the time I wanted to get to bed. She screamed so loudly my sister wrapping presents in the basement heard her from the second story. Talk about feeling like a wonderful parent. I tried to keep the calm of the spa with me just a little longer, but was not very successful. Too bad the spa day feeling can't last as long as the pedicure will.

No comments:

Post a Comment