Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 249: I've learned to ask

Well, I wrapped presents every spare second for two nights until I wanted to cry in exhaustion last night, spent all day trying to get to pack and prepare for a long travel day tomorrow, and failed to finish or even start the two tasks I put on priority for today. It took a little longer than I hoped to get dog to the kennel and I spent an hour on the phone with my dear hubby, but I just haven't learned to really plan around the baby really needing me almost all the time. If I get an hour while she naps or jumps in her jumperoo, I have to use that to shower and eat, so most of my "doing" time is balanced with one hand and eye on the baby.

I asked several people for help this week. I didn't beg, or make a big deal of it because I don't want to pressure people into helping, but I ended up alone all day trying to get things done. One friend was feeling very sick, which she couldn't help, but was disappointing. Two friends didn't even answer my text messages for help. All day, I thought about texting one of them again, but I didn't. I have to be ok without being able to be perfect all the time so things didn't get finished. Leaving things unfinished makes me uncomfortable, but I will learn to deal.

I have at least two day's worth of chores that will have to be done over break. My in-laws will have to understand that my only time off at home to get things done is when they're visiting. I know they will get it, and might even help, which is fantastic.

I am mostly proud of the fact that I kept my cool today. Preparing for a trip, especially as intensive as packing and traveling with a baby is, usually makes me kind of panic. I start to worry about little details getting forgotten. Instead I told myself that things would get done or not and to prioritize what had to be done so I could leave in the morning. I have a few last minute things to pack in the morning, baby's clothes are laid out, she is asleep, my alarm is set, and I am unwinding so I can crawl into bed at get at least a few hours of some sort of sleep. I hope my sister isn't upset if I sleep in the car on the way back to her house.

I needed help, I didn't get it, and I was alright. At least I've learned to ask, and to let go when things can't get completely finished. I will say that the house looks pretty good considering I didn't have time to clean. As long as they don't look too hard, maybe my company won't notice the dust and dirt. Even if they do, I can only do so much. The stockings are stuffed and hung with care, the presents are wrapped and stacked by child, the dishes are done, the guest room is more picked up than it has been since July, and the Christmas decorations look festive. I did pretty good. Just don't open the roll top or peek in the closets ; p.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you ILs won't give a darn. They'll be loving on their grandchildren. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete