Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 253: World Wide Me

No, this blog is not about my weight (I think there is a size limit - for the blog). But it is about how wide my blog following is. While I am writing this blog to vent, to ruminate, to ponder; it is rewarding to look at the stats page and see that people are reading my work. Seeing the statistics from all around the world is so motivating. While I'm not sure my writing is going to win any awards any time soon, the fact that people continue to read, respond, email, lets me know my words are reaching someone.

I am not sure how well the ideas or concepts in my blog translate in Croatia, Slovenia, or Denmark, but how fun to imagine who might be reading. As humans, it is normal for us to want to have an impact on the world, while I have had conservatively 2000 students so far in the course of my educational career, more if you include study halls, extra curricular activities, contact in the halls. Realistically, I might truly reach a few a year, motivate a few more and hopefully at least be someone who cared for the rest. But those effects are most of the time never seen.

Being able to see people logging in to read from Canada, South Korea, the Ukraine has a tangible feel. While I don't know if people wandered onto my page accidentally due to search words or even read my page, I can hope that many people found something inspiring in my words, or feel like a friend understands them.

I don't have all the answers. I am really not even sure I know most of the questions, but I have made a lot of mistakes and recovered from most of them. I had wise parents who taught me well, and forgave me for most of the times I chose to ignore them. I have wise in-laws and friends who continue to guide and help me. I am lucky enough to have friends share their lives with me.

I may not even be all that wise; I feel like I am faking it some days, too. Maybe you can just commiserate with the specific moment I am wallowing in that day. But maybe reading about it, allows you to give a voice to some emotion, touches your spirit, makes you think. Maybe you like watching me like people enjoy Jerry Springer, everyone stops to watch a train wreck. I will never know, but hopefully, dear reader, something will make you laugh, cry, care, feel and you will face your day knowing you're not alone.

Maybe someday, I will have the time and money to travel to some of the places around the world I see in my stats page. I would love to get 100 posts or emails with the name of your city, state or country so I can make a list of places to visit here in Texas or America and maybe someday, the world! That could be my next blogging adventure.

2 comments:

  1. You know where I am :) Don't think I'll be responding from any place fun for a while! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know where the love is for you in South Korea ;)

    ReplyDelete