Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 116: Secretariat

I watched the Disney movie Secretariat, tonight. As far as movies go, it was pretty good. There were some slow places, but I was alternating between playing with the baby and watching so it didn't drag too much for me. It didn't get too exciting until the end. I wish they had gotten to the exciting part sooner and gone a bit deeper into the periods between races, etc.

If you don't know this film because you've somehow missed the barrage of advertising over the past year, it is about the greatest racehorse that ever lived.  I wish they had focused a bit more on his training. I was telling my Lil Bit when I was getting her ready for bed that my dream when I was a little girl was to raise and train race horses. I must have read every Black Stallion book in the series at least twice, 21 books. I loved reading about the training methods and the details about caring for and riding horses.

Yet, the story was more about his owner Penny Tweedy. She was an ordinary housewife in 1973. And became the owner of one of only 11 horses to win the triple crown. The risks she took with her family and money and horse were scary bold and reckless. She risked her entire family's financial security on a hope that this horse was going to be amazing. It paid off, and no one will ever know how much was an educated gamble and how much was just hope.

I realized watching this movie that it might have ended differently if I had been in charge. I just don't think I have the take risks gene. I loathe uncertainty and can't see pursuing a career or job without some security. I have to everything just so. I like knowing how much each paycheck is going to be. Living life with millions of dollars at risk is so far beyond who I am. I am pretty sure that I just don't have the cajones or guts that someone needs to take life by the horns and fail to give up on a dream if it involves big risks like that. What I don't know is if I have the fortitude to take the time for my dream when I can't find time to water the lawn or mop the floor.

I have a dream that I do not want to let die. I am afraid this summer is kind of my last chance. The movie was great, cheering the horse on even though I knew how it ended. Watching made me realize that I have to believe in myself and take chances on my dreams. No one is going to do it for me.

I am so tired I am falling asleep at the computer, I will keep you posted on my dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment