Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 135: Hawaii Five-0

Mondays are rough usually. Today was no different. My school day was a little longer since I helped out a friend by watching a class so she could take her daughter for her one year check up. Then I had some grocery shopping to do. My bread was moldy when I went to put together sandwiches for the week. Luckily, I noticed before I packed my lunch. I had just enough good bread for a today. I use so little stuff for myself that my food spoils before I can eat it. Ugh.

The baby was very wiped out tonight and slept most of the evening. I was carrying her in from getting into her "Daddy Loves Me" jammies, and I heard a familiar theme song. The smell of sweet baby lotion combined with the iconic TV song for a moment transported me back to my childhood. I could almost feel my hair damp against my neck and taste the ice cream mom scooped into a bowl. We weren't allowed to stay up late enough to watch Hawaii Five-O, but I remember finishing my dessert and heading up to bed, feeling safely sleepily content. I was very young when that show was on, so I only have the faintest of memories of the show, but the music was a part of my childhood.

For a moment, I stood and danced with Lil Bit in my arms and realized that depending on the success of the new remake, which I enjoy immensely, she may grow up with a very similar memory of the simple contentedness of childhood: bedtimes, sundaes, baths, and family. I hope our home feels to her like the safe cocoon I remember of my home.

Of course, tonight, after napping like a sack of wet flour until almost 8:30, I am mostly hoping she will go down for bedtime at all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment