Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 145: April FOolS ! ! !

Being a school teacher or parent today has to be one of the most exasperating experiences of the year. In fact, today was pretty rough in general. It is a beautiful spring day; it is Friday; it is April Fools' Day. At the high school level, the pranks are fewer, but about the same level as third grade.

I had a student place a realistic cockroach next to a young lady who reacted visibly and loudly to its presence. That was the end to any pretense of discipline in that class period. Most of the rest of my students were just too squirrelly to teach.

I was about ready to cry fourth period. I am trying to teach a lesson on MLA document formatting, which is very precise, nit picky stuff, and I literally can't get the attention of more than a few quiet souls who wouldn't shout if they were to randomly catch fire. I didn't know what to do. I finally sat down and made a big show of playing with my cell phone to emphasize their disrespect.

It got rough a few times as I struggled to keep my cool, but in the end, I survived the day, got some teaching done and got home by 5:30 with grocery shopping. As a special treat, I had a good friend over for a bottle of wine and dinner.

Now don't faint! I cooked. I don't cook often because of the time involved, but Lil Bit fell asleep in the car so I was able to saute some onions and garlic in balsamic vinegar and add fresh herbs and dried spices to a jar of chunky sauce and simmer some wheat pasta to al dente in the finished sauce. Essentially, it was jar sauce and cheap pasta, but it was good, better than frozen with a rich, spicy flavor.

We ate, talked, took Lil Bit for her nightly constitutional down the block and back with her walker. It was a nice night, but I am SO BEAT I can barely stay awake. Last night I fell into bed without my prescriptions or remembering to turn on the baby monitor in my room. This morning I couldn't really remember getting to bed last night. I thought I remembered skipping the alarm, but found out the hard way that I had totally set the alarm. I did not need coffee after the alarm screaming at me.

I may need a cattle prod tomorrow though. I think I am going to have to call it a night before I end up asleep on the couch, all lights blazing and TV blaring. Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment