Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 123: Organizational Day

Now, in the Army if someone says Organizational Day, what I hear is Mandatory Fun. My husband and I don't socialize very much with other soldiers in his troop or unit. We're just more solitary than most people. I have some friends from school, but if I didn't see them every day at work, I don't know how often we would get together. We are just loners so Organizational Day is not usually one of our favorite things.

But today was not THAT type of Organizational Day. I decided it was time to quit feeling like my house was out of control and start getting organized. I start feeling upset and just out of sorts after awhile if the house is not perfectly squared away. Maybe that is one reason I am suited to be a soldier's wife. We both like to have things squared away. On a separate note, when two people get married it makes life a WHOLE lot easier if they both have similar cleaning and organizational styles. Otherwise you're in for a lifetime of frustration and petty disagreements. My husband and I both like the house about the same level of clean which keeps us from bickering about housework too much.

The last few days Chad was home, I didn't really worry about keeping the house picked up. It was more important to spend time with him. Then he left and I went back to work. The adjustment of not having him around was hard on both of us. Then I got strep and was down for a week and now have a cold. Babies are literally germ factories when they come from daycare. I feel like I want to gown and glove everyday when I pick her up. But between being depressed and sick and trying to get into a habit of running again, I just haven't had the time to keep the house more than superficially ungross.

Shopping online saves me a lot of time and some money, but also leaves me with a ton of cardboard boxes. I have started feeling like they're ganging up on me and trying to take over the house. Breaking them down is one of my least favorite tasks. Most of them are corrugated cardboard, designed to withstand shipping and are just a pain to break down. I've started stacking them in a big pile in the garage, but if I don't do something soon, I will have to start parking on the street.

I didn't get quite as much done as I wanted or even had planned. But I made a dent. I took care of a ton of tiny nagging things around the house. I played with the baby and even got a cherished phone call from my husband. I didn't even complain that he woke me from a nap. We didn't have much to say after a computer chat very late last night, but it was nice to hear his voice.

I probably could spend a week all day, everyday and not put a dent into the real jobs that need doing, pictures that need organizing, closets that need thinning, etc. But just getting a few piles pared down and straightening up made me feel more productive. Maybe organizational day is a bit strong, but a good start it definitely was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment