Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 130: A different life

This is going to be a short entry. I am very tired and it is past midnight. The baby woke up at 7 a.m. today which was about three hours too early so Momma is tired!

I tried tonight to go to a friend's house for game night. It didn't start until 8 which was a bit late for a baby, but I worked her naps and feedings around going to the party. She fell asleep around 5:30 and slept for an hour so she was ready to party.

Everyone else at the party was younger, by a lot, and no one else had children. Having a baby at a game night was a bit challenging. She wanted to be into everything. She pulled out all the cords of their Xbox and at one point had them wrapped around her neck, chest and hands. She then played with a cat toy, smashing everyone close in the head several times. Then she wanted to be into what we were doing on the table with our cards.

I just learned that I can't take her out like I could when she was super little. She isn't the passive little thing she used to be just a few months ago, which is great when we're in our baby safe living room, but not so great when we're trying to play with a fire poker. They knew we were coming, but didn't make much attempt to baby proof. I had to snatch up a bobby pin from the carpet and she was licking power cords (not plugged in).

I passed her around and I held her a lot, but it just showed me that I am not being antisocial when I turn down invitations that are truly more geared to single people or at least nonparents. She needs to play and crawl and be active. While meeting new people was great for her too, and she got to pet a very teeny tiny kitten, it just wasn't the best environment for us anymore. She just needs too much attention for me to be able to enjoy myself truly and if I am going to spend the evening playing with her, I would rather do it at our house where I know she will be safe.

I had fun. It was good to see my friends, but it was really hard to keep her occupied and happy. I have to make priorities and she comes first. Not to say we will never go out again, we may, but I would bet that it will be awhile before we go somewhere adult centered again. Lil Bit is getting older and needs to be able to crawl, pull up, play, learn. Being told no every five minutes wasn't much fun for either of us.

I guess being a parent trumps going out because I don't want to leave her with a sitter if I don't have to. Staying in and playing peekaboo might be a different life, but I am exactly where I want to be, even if I miss some of my friends from time to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment