Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 119: So proud~!

My husband has never been a school person. He struggled in high school in most of his classes although is very intelligent. Looking back, he now can see that he probably has a learning disability. Something that would be hard to catch and easy to confuse with apathy. By the time he got to high school, he believed he was dumb and didn't put much effort into so many of his classes, except science, especially biology and zoology in which he made A's.

He also is not much of a planner. He is more a fly by the seat of his pants kinda guy which has been a growth experience for me. I struggle with spontaneity. Even as a child, I made lists. Learning to be more flexible to accommodate who he is has been challenging, but I think an important lesson for me.

However, spontaneity is not as valued when it comes to life planning. We're looking at another seven years in the military or so. Depending on where his career is and the status of world conflicts, he might stay an extra year or two to cushion his retirement, but he has seven years left until 20 years. His retirement will be some income, but not enough to replace his salary. His retirement is based on his base salary, no BAH or BAS which is about $1300 a month right now. So we're looking at less than 50% take home of what he makes right now without the fantastic medical insurance we're getting as active duty. At 40, he is going to have another 20-30 years to work before retirement.

When he got out of the service between the Marine Corps and the Army, he hated it. He had to work 80 hour weeks just to make what he'd been making in the service. And with only a high school diploma and some military experience loading helicopters, it was hard to find a job that was above a minimum entry level position. As a former Marine, he hated the loss of prestige as well as the meniality of the job.

I've been encouraging him for several years that he needs to plan a second career. But school hasn't held much appeal. Then last fall (2009), he attended the Army's Sniper school which is a rigorous and demanding course, physically and intellectually. He graduated with flying colors. He did really well even on the calculus portions of the course. I think that success helped him see that he can learn and can do really well. He would study all night for a test, call me frustrated and worried he was going to fail and end up with the highest grade or a 100%.

Yesterday, I got the craziest email from him. He has decided to pursue a degree in biology or wildlife management. WOO HOO! ! ! I am so ridiculously excited for him. I know this is going to be hard for him, for us. He is going to be trying to take classes and work full time on the Army's schedule which will be tough for us and take away from his limited hours with us, but this is definitely something he needs to do.

I am just bursting with pride for him. I think about how many people stay in a chosen career field or get defeated when life didn't turn out the way they anticipated and how few truly make the attempt to go back to school. I don't know how it will work. He's trying to figure out a school and tuition assistance versus GI Bill. I'm sure moving around and deploying will make life complicated at times to complete course work, but really, I am just proud that he is considering going back to school and is thinking about who he really wants to be after retirement. 

I hope he knows how much I believe in him. Go for it, honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment