Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 314: Bonjour

Bonjour Mes Amis! I saw that someone from France was reading my blog but my high school French ce n'est tres pas bon. I fell in love with the French language when I was little, but never wanted to teach it so I couldn't take it in college because the classes were all permit classes. To get a permit you had to be a major or minor in French. It is too bad because I was nearly fluent in school French, but that was 20 years ago. I wonder if I started using it more often, how long it would take to come back. It is one of the high school skills that I regret losing.

As a military wife, I can hope that maybe we get stationed overseas. I am really torn though. If we get stationed overseas, we would be very far from our family and friends here, but the experience would be amazing!! I don't want Lil Bit to grow up so far from her Nana and Grandma and Grandpa, etc. but to have the opportunity to see all the things I used to teach about in world history and actually experience a foreign culture would just be the chance of a lifetime.

The army life isn't an easy one and getting the popular duty stations is challenging. Germany is easier than some, but soldiers get over there and are deploying from there. I can't imagine how miserable it would be to be all alone in a foreign country and have my husband leave me for a year. To have the world at my fingertips and feel like I shouldn't be exploring without my husband would be challenging. One of the things I love most about him is how we enjoy new places, foods, wines and finding them together.

I miss him today. He is being moved back and forth between his two posts a lot so he is in transition or working often. Last deployment we had the ability to video chat, but the signal was terrible. It froze most of the time. But this is part of life, especially the army, the only thing you can count on is change. As a neurotic OCD person, it is the hardest thing for me to get used to, but I am choosing to see the military life as an opportunity to work on my flexibility.

So I go back to worrying about getting through this next week and tonight and grading way too many essays, counting down the days until he comes home and wondering what adventure we'll take next. Au revoir, mes persons. Not sure of the exact translation of my peeps. ; )

1 comment:

  1. My brother was in Germany when his first was born, and 5 months later he was deployed to Iraq. It is tough, but if you are willing to make friends on post (some women keep to themselves), I think it can work. Oh and there are cheap flights to Frankfurt!

    ReplyDelete