Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 319: Steamed

    No, I'm not mad, I used my hand held Shark steamer all day!! I haven't gotten out of my pj's, but I spent the whole day cleaning the kitchen. I don't know that I got every single speck of dirt, but the kitchen is cleaner than it has ever been. I could probably spend the entire day cleaning the insides of all the cabinets tomorrow if I really wanted to be thorough, but I can save that for another weekend. I steam sterilized the baseboards, sink, counters, windows, doors, from the top of the fridge to the bottom inside and out. Then I steam cleaned the floor. If you needed to eat off the top of my fridge, you could!

I put Lil Bit in her Jenny Jumper and hung it in the pantry doorway. She figured out at least swinging and spinning if she doesn't quite have the hang of the jumping part. She either watched me from there or her highchair while I cleaned. When she was hungry, wet, dirty, tired I stopped and held her, played with her. It took me all day, 10 hours including breaks (admittedly a bit over the top), but as I start doing one room a week, eventually the house will be very clean and will just require touch ups - hopefully. That is the plan.  As an army wife though, I know how well plans work out.

We did get to talk to daddy last night. Out of everything I (we) have struggled with this deployment, I am most proud of how we are handling being apart. When he calls, it feels like just any other daily conversations for the most part. I don't know what has changed, maybe I am just too busy to obsess over missing him, maybe I am so busy that time is flying very quickly. No matter the reason, we are doing fantastically. I feel like the separation is always hard. I miss having him around, but we are doing our best to stay in contact and really talk to each other about the little things.

Other times we've been separated, we spent a lot of time saying I miss you and I love you and not knowing how long we would have until the phone cut out or the Internet went down. The lines he's using now are much more secure and we're able to talk. We also say it first just in case. Being able to tell him what we did for dinner or how my day at work was or how irritating the dog is being makes it feel like he isn't quite so far away. And while he generally only calls once a week or once every two weeks, it feels like just picking up a good book right where you left off. We're only six weeks in and we have a long way to go, but I am feeling pretty good tonight.

One day, one moment - tomorrow is another day. I'm sure it will have enough of its own problems. Like all the stuff I didn't get done because I was steaming my way through the kitchen. By the way, steam is hot! Just a little public service announcement: if you hold it too close to your hand, it burns. I am so blond sometimes.

At least I can fall asleep in a few minutes, knowing he loves me, the baby is happy and sleeping and my kitchen is clean. The fridge is a little barren but sparkling!! Ahh, the simple joy of being able to see the results of a job well done. Now if only I could invent a way to keep it done! Wow, my fantasy life has sure changed since becoming a wife and mother. I think I steamed away some stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment