Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 322: 5 months and 40 years

It is so hard to believe she is five months old already. While in the grand scheme of the rest of her life five months is barely a blip,  she is already growing out of this baby stage so quickly. Last night she was trying to use a sippy cup by herself. I think she just really wanted to wash down those peas!

I almost want to cry, "Freeze!" like we used to when we played freeze tag in Stephanie and Jenny's front yard and everyone stopped. I look forward to so many moments with her, but I also kind of want this precious year, especially this oh so adorable phase, to last so much longer than it is going to. I waited so long to have my little baby and she is already trying to sit up and crawl.

Tonight, I promise I will get out the video camera and charge up the battery so we can take some movies of these fleeting moments. I need to make Cd's to mail to daddy so he can see what a precious Lil Bit he has. Pictures and email is nice, but being able to see and hear her at the same time might make up for some of the special times he is missing.

Today is also my best friend's birthday, the big 4-0~!!! She and I have been friends for 17 years now. She was really my first friend as an adult that didn't cross over from high school or college. She has seen me happy, heartbroken, skinny and fat - too much of the latter, but loved me through all of it. It is hard today to be so far from her and unable to celebrate with her. Tonight, I will drink a Wild Blue (blueberry beer, an acquired taste for sure) in her honor and maybe take a chance catching her at home.

This army wife life has taken me into friendships I wouldn't trade for the world, but also moved me away from some of the most precious people in the world to me. Technology allows us to stay closer than before, but today, I am missing the hugs and the ability to share Lil Bit's special moments with family and friends in person.

So today two of my best girls get older and reminds me that the only constant in life, army life especially, is change. Live in the moment today. Keep working toward future goals and plans, but the only guarantee we have is right now. Enjoy it for what it is, a lesson, a sorrow, a joy, a drudgery - they all are part of us. Raise a glass with me tonight and toast your best friends and the people you love. They are gone too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment