Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 326: Technology

Today was so busy. This morning I put Lil Bit on the floor in the bathroom and she started rolling and scooting toward the vanity. My first thought was "wow, she is really starting to figure out this crawling thing." My second thought was "when did I clean under there last?" UGH - I decided that I was going to have to start keeping the ground level of my house a lot more sterile. I pulled out the Shark hand steamer that I bought when we found out we were paper "pregnant." Everyone kind of wondered why I wanted one, but there are so many things I can steam. I steam cleaned my bathroom floor and baseboards. The steam cleaned places I have scrubbed with cleanser many times with no noticeable affect. It felt really good to have at least one room where I can put her on the floor and feel she isn't chewing on handfuls of dirt and dog hair. I then vacuumed the rest of the house. By that point Lil Bit was waking up from her morning nap and was ready for some play time. I plan to use the steamer to clean some of her toys that can't really be washed like dishes or in the washing machine and gradually work my way through the house sterilizing one room a week or so.

Then we used skype to chat with my MIL. It was so neat to get to let her really see grandma and talk and smile. While pictures are great, there is something to being able to see her move and smile that just makes a difference. We are 15 hours driving away and even flying isn't too much shorter than that and 20 hours away from my family. Doing a year without my husband is very hard, doing it with a baby is harder, doing it so far away from so many people I love is even harder. The web cam makes it so much better.

After I got off with my mother-in-law, we took a nap. And watched the disaster of the Texas-OU game. Then I saw my friend Jessie was online, so I took a chance and called her on the webcam. It felt like we were together sitting on the couch, just chatting. It was so nice. Saturdays are tough. I got invited out to eat and some friends were chaperoning the dance at school. I just was so wiped out. I slept from 4-6:30.

Then just before baby went to bed, I skyped with FIL. My MIL is out celebrating a friend's bachelorette party and Dadve is home with grandsons. He wasn't there early when we skyped with her and I wanted the boys to be able to see their sister. It has been almost two months since they went home. It is so hard for them to be missing this year with her too. They have a little brother at their mom's house too so it must be hard for them to feel pulled by love for brother and mother and dad and sister. At least this technology allows them to see her and talk to her and hear her new "conversations" which my mother dubbed as sounding like a sick chicken. She does either no vocalizations or shriek babbles. Very cute, but loud.

I want to be social and maintain friendships, but getting dressed and out the door with baby in tow is sometimes too much when I don't have to. Having the technology today to be able to stay in touch made me feel like I spent the day with friends and family. I hope Chad is able to find the time to skype soon. So far we're happy when we get phone calls and an email here and there. He's been too busy, but when he has time, it will be so nice for him to get to see her and for her to see daddy's face. Can't imagine how people did this during World War I and II or even Vietnam. Your husband left and you might not hear from him for months or years or until he just showed up at home. That would have to be the biggest test of a marriage. Thank GOD for technology. It is just one thing making this crazy year just a bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment