Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 209: Again

This year I have been sicker than I have been since my first year teaching. Every germ Lil Bit brings home from daycare is completely new to my mutantly poor immune system. Last night, my eardrum felt like it was going to burst.

I have always been somewhat sickly. I catch a lot of colds, flu, etc. But I can't help it. I take vitamins, try to eat healthy, and I still can't fight off most infections. This week I have been dosing myself with a cocktail of a variety of cold medicines trying to live up to the things my work and life require. Today, I couldn't take it any more. I had to stay home. I spent most of the day feeling awful and only perked up a couple hours ago.

As I look around the living room, that is increasingly cluttered, I feel defeated and overwhelmed. And yet, feeling unsteady of my feet, feverish, sick, I managed to feed myself and the baby, keep her entertained all day. Today, that feels like a victory.

She even stood on her own for the first time today. She pulled up on her exersaucer and while playing, let go and started to cry. She had startled herself and was afraid to move. Of course I scooped her up and told her how proud I was of her.

She was all smiles and played happily all day. Her smiles brought me such joy today in the simple happiness of a sweet, giggly little girl.

I hope my body builds up an immunity soon. Until then, I am muddling through the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment