Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 212: Come cryin' to me

Today was a decent day at school. Nothing special happened, except that I spent the entire day coughing and hacking. Even with medicine, nasal spray and cough drops, I was pretty miserable. Teaching writing took my mind off it, but I was coughing pretty badly.

I called my doctor's office and got to leave a message for my doctor's nurse, crossing fingers that she would get it before she left. I headed home and a few minutes after walking through the door, miracle of miracles, the nurse called. I told her my symptoms and she said that I sounded pretty sick and she would fax a referral to the nearest urgent care facility. I went there about thirty minutes later and no referral.

I stood at the counter, sick, frustrated, and getting more and more upset as I try number after number to call.  All I get is automated systems and an answering machine. I can feel myself starting to cry. I am already embarrassed and frustrated. I finally just pick up the baby seat and leave. Sitting in the car, I called the nurse triage number again, leaving a second message. Unable to stop myself from crying, I drive home. An hour of my busy evening wasted. An hour of my daughter exposed to new germs, and I still feel horrible, am still coughing, and  have to head home. The staff were less than friendly or helpful and not terribly sympathetic. Five hours later and the Triage nurse never called back. I guess hacking up brown goo and an approved referral that never got faxed don't rate in the triage priority chain.

After the tearful drive home, I walk through the door, the baby is fussing to get out of her seat and I have no one to cry to. I hold her tight and just sob. She doesn't yet recognize other's crying and laughs when I cry, which is a bit disconcerting. The wasted trip was frustrating and draining and disappointing. It was one of those nights, that it reminds me how much it means to have someone to come crying home to. Even when the crying isn't literal, having that ear to listen, to commiserate makes such days easier to survive if not actually better.

I miss you, honey. Stay safe, and when you need to, come cryin' to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment