Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 226: Sex and the City

Today, I watched Sex and the City 2. After the roughest weekend in recent months, I needed a moment for myself. I heard mixed reviews for the movie, but was looking forward to a couple of hours remembering the guilty pleasure from watching the series the first time. What was so special about the series was that it made me feel like someone understood being single, made it feel like an adventure, and yet commiserated over dating drama disasters.

Even the first time some of it was more risque than I felt necessary, but some of the joy of the show was that the open sexuality was a way of empowering women to take charge of their bodies and happiness. The movie was more toned down than most of the series, but I found myself offended by the sex scenes. I don't know what changed, but it has to be me. I think I am becoming more traditional in my old age. Maybe strong plots and characters should take center stage instead of gratuitous sex.

One scene I really loved, was Miranda and Charlotte at the bar discussing mommyhood. After the 48 hours of crying baby I had, I loved them taking turns sipping cosmopolitans and complaining about how hard being a mother is. When Charlotte stood in the pantry sobbing, I flashed back to Sunday afternoon, crying, pleading with the baby to stop crying. The harder I cried, the harder she cried. It was a train wreck, so I really appreciated when Miranda toasted to all the moms who do it all without help. I can't imagine having a nanny, but I can certainly appreciate having someone to help. My new coffee maker had brewed twelve hours early for no apparent reason. I didn't want to waste very expensive coffee, so I toasted them in return with a mug of coffee and Irish cream. I will say the combination of caffeine and alcohol took the edge off a rough afternoon.

I really hated when Carrie kissed Aiden. I've been the spouse in a marriage when someone cheated. I felt betrayed, wounded, deceived, but mostly like something precious had broken. Marriage is work, tricky, takes compromise and a large dose of forgiveness daily. The physical bond is something I think is sacred. I know people cheat whether just a kiss or more, and people forgive, but even the thought of breaking that sacred bond my husband and I share, the permanence of shattering our connection, makes me sick. I can't imagine being able to move on from there. Moving past it from either side would be so hard, the trust would be gone forever in some ways. I have many reasons I don't cheat, but that movie kiss/betrayal reminded me how important our trust is even when we argue over grocery lists or household chores, we're building a foundation for a lifetime together.

Sex and the City reminded me of being single and made me a little nostalgic for a moment for the carefree life I had pre-Chad and kids, but mostly made me realize that Married with Children was a much worse show, but significantly better reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment